Membership Sales Specialist
San Mateo County Community College District
Posting Number: 20141312S
Department: Community Fitness
Location: Caada College
Position Number: 1C0532/1C0533
Percentage of Full Time: 100%
FLSA: Non-Exempt (accrues overtime)
Months per Year: 12
If other, please specify:
Min Salary: $55,104 (annual)
Max Salary: $70,248 (annual)
Position Type: Classified Positions
Who We Are:
The San Mateo County Community College District is committed to achieving educational equity for all students. As outlined in the Districts Strategic Plan, "success, equity, and social justice for our students are longstanding goals." The Districts "Students First" Strategic Plan is focused on "Student Success, Equity and Social Justice." We provide students with a rich and dynamic learning experience that embraces differences - emphasizing collaboration and engaging students in and out of the classroom, encouraging them to realize their goals, and to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders. When you join our team at San Mateo County Community College District, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, classified staff, administration, students and community partners.
The College and the District:
The San Mateo County Community College District is home to Caada College, College of San Mateo, and Skyline College. All three of our colleges are designated as Hispanic Serving Institutions enrolling approximately 33,000 students each academic year. San Mateo County Community College District has a diverse student population that is a reflection of the communities that it serves. Detailed information about the student population, including data related to student success, can be found on the San Mateo County Community College Districts Educational Services & Planning website.
Who We Want:
We value the ability to serve students from a broad range of cultural heritages, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, abilities and orientations. Therefore, we prioritize applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits diversity brings to a professional educational community. The successful candidate will be an equity-minded individual committed to collaborating with faculty, classified staff, administration, students and community partners who are also committed to closing equity gaps. The San Mateo County Community District seeks employees who value mentorship and working in a collegial, collaborative environment, guided by a commitment to helping all students achieve their educational goals.
Under direction, the Membership Sales Specialist (MSS) supports goals of new member registration, controls attrition, leads development and follow-through with daily reporting of sales, and summary statements of plan to meet goal and percentage to goal efforts. Cross communication and marketing in support of paid programs will be executed to drive member participation and referrals. The MSS will work on lead generation upon the close of each sale and follow-up with members at the fitness center to continue to build a community culture. The MSS availability will include scheduled hours focused on service availability around the primacy of the students and faculty with particular communication focused on community members to assuring access to college users while accommodating the needs of the community during the unassigned time periods. Daily, weekly and monthly sales stats are required and will include actual daily sales to goal, actual sales to goal annually and breakdowns indicating student, faculty and community membership with subcategories identified per SMCCCD standards with additional attention given to the presentation of team sport, swim lessons, training, masters programs and other ancillary revenue services.
A standard code of sales ethics will be implemented with District, State and County standard assurances. Public contact is extensive and involves fitness center staff, students, vendors, members and prospective members to exchange procedural and policy information related to fitness center memberships and services. A moderate degree of independent judgment and creativity are required to analyze and interpret data to resolve a variety of minor and occasional major problems that arise. Consequences of errors in judgment can be costly in employee time, income and public relations; however, supervisory controls are available to limit the risk of serious errors. A Membership Sales Specialist can lead the work of other staff and direct student assistants as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties below are representative of the duties of the classification and are not intended to cover all of the duties performed by the incumbent(s) of any particular position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the scope of work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this classification.
- Creates and follows up on individual and prospect lead development for membership sales
- Conducts facility tours by appointment for interested prospects; connects prospects with other team members during tours
- Exchanges information with operations managers and other fitness center staff regarding membership information; collaborates with all department managers and supervisors to expand development and follow-through of referred new member prospects, renewals and ancillary services
- Generates monthly leads with ongoing month to month corporate marketing, projects and outreach; hosts events and workshops for in-center lead generation
- Creates a new member experience, by establishing the needs of the prospect through conversation
- Completes paperwork, contracts, ID verification, payment verification, and account details without error
- Researches, enters, modifies and retrieves a variety of demographic, statistical, financial and other data specifically related to membership sales; compiles sales data for special and regular reports; tracks membership sales trends and forecasts membership sales revenues
- Composes correspondence, memoranda, and other written materials using a variety of standard computer software
- Ensures sales support material is stocked at the beginning and end of each shift
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Associate degree in Business Administration, Marketing or a closely related field OR an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2 years of related experience
- A strong focus on behaviors that drive member acquisition and retention
- Database, CRM and software application experience to set up, track and report complex data
- CPR/ First Aid Certification or completion within 30 days of hire
- Demonstrated skills in effective persuasive communication; composing and preparing original correspondence, memoranda and other written materials; research, and compiling of data for a variety of statistical, narrative and other reports; demonstrated skills in organizing complex, multi-faceted data, including a variety of files
- Demonstrated cultural competence, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff
This classification requires attention to details; flexibility and adaptability; manual dexterity; sitting for long periods; walking frequently; pushing and pulling; visual comparison and acuity; oral communication; multi-tasking; patience; artistic vision and ideas; leading others; tact and sensitivity in order to perform the essential functions.
Equivalence to Minimum Qualifications:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to perform duties and to provide membership services in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to identify needs of patron with services provided during conversation and tours
- Confident in creating experiences with communication and setting a tone of excitement
- Authentic, integrity driven and able to learn, be critiqued and return with information to improve and use during presentations
- Understanding of the "team" and what that means toward reaching goals together
- Ability to work independently in a time efficient manner with proven daily results
- Excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Adaptable to change and excels in a fast paced environment
- Shows an affinity for health, wellness and fitness
- Demonstrates great listening skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Able to use and demonstrate software proficiency
- Enjoys working in and maintaining a calm professional environment
- Skill in respectful, tactful and sensitive interaction with people who are diverse in their cultures, language groups and abilities
- Skill in organizing data, setting up, tracking and maintaining data in electronic files
- Ability to coordinate, anticipate, and resolve time management issues and problems
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
2+ years of fitness sales experience and/or membership sales (preferred)
Benefits include paid holidays, vacation and sick leave. The District pays all or a portion of monthly medical plan premiums (depending on the coverage) and pays all of the monthly dental and vision plan premiums for employees and eligible dependents. Additional paid benefits include life insurance, salary continuance insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program. Classified employees participate in the Public Employees Retirement System, a defined-benefit retirement plan through the State of California. Optional tax-deferred 403(b) and 457 retirement plans are also available.
Open Date: 08/03/2022
First Review Date: 09/16/2022
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions Summary:
Required Application Materials All applicants are required to submit:
1. A completed online District application form (go to https://jobs.smccd.edu to complete the application and to apply for this position).
2. A resume that details all relevant education, training, and other work experience.
3. A cover letter of no more than 3 pages that addresses the applicants cultural competence, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff as well as the applicants qualifications as they relate to the requirements, knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in this announcement.
Candidates for interview will be selected from among those who most closely meet the requirements and knowledge, skills and abilities. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview. As part of the interview process, candidates may be asked to demonstrate job-related knowledge and skills.
For questions related to this posting, please contact:
SMCCCD Office of Human Resources
3401 CSM Drive
San Mateo, CA 94402
Tel.: (650) 574-6555
Fax: (650) 574-6574
Web Page: www.smccd.edu/hr
Conditions of Employment:
Prior to employment, the selected candidate will be required to complete the following:
1. Submit official transcripts (applies to all faculty or educational administrative positions)
2. Submit verifications of prior employment
3. Satisfactory references
4. Successfully being cleared for employment through the background checking process
In addition to background checks, the District may review publicly available information about a candidate on the Internet. If a candidate is aware of incorrect or inaccurate information that is available on the Internet, the candidate is welcome to address such an issue with the Office of Human Resources.
5. Present original documents for proof of eligibility to work in the United States
6. Approval of your employment by the SMCCCD Board of Trustees
7. Provide a certificate of Tuberculosis exam for initial employment.
8. Have fingerprints taken by a Live Scan computer (Clearance must be received prior to first day of employment). Please note that the California Education Code requires, in part, that community college districts shall not employ or retain in employment persons in public school service who have been convicted of certain felonies, a misdemeanor drug charge (including alcohol offenses) or misdemeanor moral turpitude (sexual offense) crime. However, consideration may be given to those whose drug convictions occurred more than five years ago. A conviction for other crimes may not necessarily disqualify you from the job for which you may be applying.
The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities.
Applicants who have disabilities may request that special accommodations be made in order to complete the selection process. Accommodation requests and a copy of the Americans with Disabilities Act applicant procedures can be made by completing our: Applicant Reasonable Accommodation Request Form
Annual Security Report:
San Mateo County Community College Districts (SMCCCD) 2021 Annual Security Report (ASR), required by the Clery Act, includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings owned or controlled by SMCCCD; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from SMCCCD. Our 2021 Annual Security Report also outlines various campus safety and security policies, such as those concerning crime reporting, prevention and response to sexual and gender violence, alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, emergency response and evacuation procedures, and other matters. The 2021 Annual Security Report also includes important tips to help every member of the community remain safe and avoid becoming a victim of crime. The 2021 Annual Security Report is now available. You can also obtain a copy of this report by contacting the Department of Public Safety at the District Office or any of the three Campuses (650) 738-7000. The report includes information about criminal activity on our campuses, emergency procedures and resources.
To apply, visit: https://jobs.smccd.edu/
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency